Friday 10 August 2012

controlling your balance when punching


I find that the more weight I throw into the direction of the punch (not forward) the more effective the punch is, even to the point of leaving the floor slightly to commit total bodyweight.  That doesn’t mean I’m any more off balance than when I’m walking really, as long as I stick to the same basic rules of balance I use when I walk, with your head moving from one foot to the other.  when I’m walking I’m throwing myself slightly off balance, by leaning slightly forward using my head,  that controls that balance faster than any other part of my body, and that’s in direct relation with my feet, so if I was walking forward, and my head was leaning past my feet when I was stopped quickly, would be the one thing determining factor as to whether I was off balance or fell over .So this would be no different to throwing and missing a punch, if I throw my head out to far I over commit and this would put my head to far past the foot I was using to balance that punch and put me off balance or even cause me to fall over from excessive torque
if you threw a punch putting all your weight onto your front foot, the best way to get total power in the next strike is to throw your head back over the rear foot that would mean sitting back so it can go both ways.
after looking at that top ten list in my previous blog, there’s quite a few big punches that are throwing themselves off balance, but this is no different than a runner throws himself off balance and chase’s his own balance point down a track, it’s a controlled way off being off balance, just like the boxers does but there only off balance for a micro second as the head and hips help pop the shockwave into the end of the punch. And these are also set up first so there’s less danger if they miss of being countered 

No comments:

Post a Comment